What is the ONE thing you can do to invite more presence, pleasure and peace into your life?
That’s right! Just as the title explicitly states, “sit your butt down!”
Just the word brings up so many feelings for people. It sounds nice, but what does it really mean and do I REALLY have to let go of ALL my thoughts?
I’m not going to take this time to tell you the thousands of benefits of meditation, the different kinds or products, apps and novelties you can use to enhance your sitting meditation practice.
Here are some links for those who are interested:
I AM going to give you simple steps that anyone can do no matter rich or poor, stationary or mobile, ridiculously busy or perfectly balanced.
Here is a short simple guide to sitting meditating:
1) IMPORTANT: Give yourself permission to just sit. This is crucial as our western mind is always coming up with better things to do with our time before we’ve even fully experienced what is right in front of us…what we are doing right now. So trust you inclination to just sit and that all good things will come from it!
It sounds something like this in your head – “All I have to do for the next 1, 2, 5 or 10 minutes is sit and breathe.”
Then if your mind still needs a reason – “I am doing more good for myself, my family and the world in these 5 minutes than I am rushing around like a like a crazy person for two hours not really accomplishing anything of meaning!”
2) You guessed it! Sit your ass down!
Here’s the kicker – it doesn’t’ matter where! You can make a “sacred space” or alter or find a beautiful setting for sure, but I can tell you I wasted years NOT meditating looking for the perfect spot! I used to sit under our fig tree but since we moved into a 700 square foot apartment, I now wake up, put my butt on the pillow my head was just laying on and sit criss-cross-applesauce first thing in the morning. You can sit on your patio, on the floor, next to your kids as they drift of to sleep…. it doesn’t matter, just SIT STILL.
3) Sit as tall as you can, spine towards the sky. If this is uncomfortable, then screw it! Just sit. :)
4) Close your eyes. Um, yeah, that’s it. J :)
5) Breathe. In and out. Inhale and exhale.
You do NOT have to breath any particular way! If your mind needs something to do simple say to yourself, “I am breathing in” (yep, when you are indeed breathing in) and “I’m and breathing out” (you guessed it, when you are exhaling).
6) ***EXTRA CREDIT FOR YOU OVER ACHEIVERS***
Do it once a day for a week and I would love to hear about your experience in the comments below!
Do you think anyone could do this? Too hard? Too easy? Just right?
Thanks for making the world a better place by sitting yo’ ass down!
All Body Integration Breath Chocolate Community Dreams Dualities Eden Energetics Energy Evolution Heart Work Intuition Journal Entries Life Balance Love Meditation Mindfulness Mindful Parenting Money Peace Pleasure Presence Purpose Relationships